Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Faux Frenchman (l'homme n'est pas francais)

About 200 miles south of the Center of the Universe lies a rather sizable "company town," also known as our nation's capital city, Washington, DC. Last week, I visited my other hometown and was, of course, asked for directions...with a twist.

After an evening of great fun with an amalgamation of colleagues, their families, and one of my "sisters by choice," we were headed back to the Farragut West Metro. Strolling down 18th Street, a few guys in suits passed us and one broke away from the group and stopped near us.

"Excuse me, but I am a Frenchman." he said, with an accent more along the lines of Pepe LePieu than Gerard Depardieu. He continued, "I am a Frenchman, and I am looking for 18th Avenue and Connecticut Street."

I was ready. Whereas previously, I had given directions in Spanish, a language I don't really speak, this was a great opportunity--not only could I practice my French, but I could also put a chink in the assumption that all Americans only speak English. And so, I launched into directions:

"Il n'y a pas avenue 18. C'est la rue 18, et c'est ca. Marche au coin, et tournez a droit, et c'est la."

At this point, this dude is completely bewildered. I mean, I know my French is not fantastic, and I forgot the word for 18 (dix-huit), but he didn't say anything in French. At all. He continued on in his Pepe Le Pieu:

"Yes, I am looking for ze pub that is on the corner of 18th Street and Connecticut Avenue."

At which point, my colleague and friend Laura piped up with some very slow, loud directions. In English. And Pepe went on his merry way.

In the analysis, we were all convinced that this man was not French. Perhaps it was a dare, or some sort of improv game.

P.S.-Apologies to all French speaking persons, I have yet to figure out how to write accents here in the blogosphere. Therefore there are many words above that are technically misspelled.

P.P.S.--Thanks to Ted for the posting inspiration!

1 comment:

Natosha said...

i've found that sometimes when you speak a person's native language they don't understand you bc they've already decided in their heads that you only speak english. even if you say it perfectly, their minds won't let them interpret it because they've simply already decided you don't speak their native tongue. very very strange indeed.