Thursday, June 25, 2009

Moving to the Center of Another Universe Makes This One Look So Much More Attractive!

Well, I'm moving back to Washington, DC, my other home and the center of the American political universe. While I enjoy serious denial about the fact that I'm leaving my job in just three working days and moving out of this apartment six days after that, I've slowly been compiling a mental list of what I'll miss about living in the Center of the Universe.

In no particular order:
  • My family, and especially sleepovers with my nieces, when I get to attempt to explain this crazy place and enjoy it through young eyes.
  • My friends, and soon-to-be former co-workers.
  • Food that is not available or not the same in DC: Pizza, bagels, Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, The Shake Shack, Artisanal, Kashkaval, Eatery, Tom's, and...sniff sniff...Jamba Juice.
  • Calorie counts on menus that help steer me back towards healthier options.
  • Broadway shows...on Broadway and at a moment's notice, especially when I'm having an "I hate this city" day.
  • Macy's Herald Square. It has spoiled me for virtually all other department stores (well, except Saks).
  • Central Park, Bryant Park, Prospect Park, and the Brooklyn Promenade/Brooklyn Bridge Park/Fulton Ferry Landing.
  • The Jazz & Gospel Choir at the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music, my musical family here in Brooklyn.
  • Pretending I think it's no big deal to walk down the street where they are filming, or planning to film, a movie or TV show...and randomly seeing celebrities on the street.
  • The truly high-quality newscasters on local broadcast stations, especially the team at WABC, whom I've seen most mornings for the last three years.

No comments: