Sunday, April 10, 2011

Don't hold back on my account

Friday afternoon in the midst of a crazy day, I was having my hair cut and colored. Normally Fridays are pretty quiet and it's not a big deal for me to step away from work for a couple of hours. Not so on this past Friday--but that's not really the point of this story. I have my hair cut at the Aveda Institute which is a teaching school. I discovered the cosmetology school thing when I was living in Brooklyn. Anyway, generally one will be able to go to the same student twice in a row before that student graduates and moves on. This past Friday, I had a student who was different from the one I had last time. While coloring my hair, she said, out of nowhere, "So, are you dating anyone? Thinking about having kids?" "Well, I am starting to date." I replied. "How old are you?" She asked, incredulously. "33." "33 and you're just starting to date?" She looked at me funny. "Well, yeah. You see, there was this bad situation with a friend of mine..."I trailed off, not really wanting to dig this up with a complete stranger. "Oh. Got your heart broken, huh?" She said, compassionately. "I did, yes." "Well. That sucks. I know what that's like. Took me four months to get over it the last time my heart was broken." She replied, and thankfully moved on. So, I was being honest--yesterday I started dating. I joined Match.com about two weeks ago; my fabulous gals claim they will also join so we can experience this together. In the meantime, they have been very supportive. And I started exchanging emails with a couple of guys that I planned to meet yesterday. But in the midst of this email exchange, a couple of crazies came out of the Internet...no surprise there. Here's an excerpt from one of the wacky emails I received (because you know this blog has got to be an outlet for documenting this experience):
"how are you doing... needed you to know that you are way too beautiful... Oops! not just beautiful sorry! but outstandingly beautiful and your brief words i read on your profile spells it right that this same beauty, comes right the inside.... "

Thankfully Match.com comes with a built in, polite "No, Thank You!" button.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Your match.com response has similar language skills to Calvin--a contestant on a fashion design reality show-- who I saw on "the Soup." When Calvin was talking of bad things yet to happen...he said "here go, hell come." :)