Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A fit of temper

I have a temper. I may have written about it before; although I am not easily rattled there are times when I get really aggravated, and then there are times when I completely lose my temper.

Last month, I worked on a complex and challenging event called the Celebration of Science. In the midst of the most busy, I was "having a day". Totally frustrated, a little stressed out, and running around like a crazy person trying to get a million things done. My day had begun with a frantic phone call at 6:30am and by 11am my phone was almost dead. After triumphantly putting out the fire of the morning, I was ready to get back to my regularly scheduled activities when I returned to my car, parked on the street.

It was completely blocked by a delivery truck. That's when I lost it.

I stalked around the truck, looking for a driver. No one was around. Anywhere. The driver's side window was open, so I climbed up, reached through and honked the horn.

Nothing.

I stalked around the truck again, looking for any kind of identification so I could call someone.

Nothing.

I wondered if the bonehead driver was dumb enough to leave the truck open with the keys in the ignition.

I climbed into the truck, turned the key and honked the horn. Realized I had absolutely no idea how to drive the truck, and got out.

Then the driver showed up. I gave him a piece of my mind. He was baffled, moved the truck and then tried to talk to me as I drove off.

No comments: