Thursday, January 3, 2013

Reflections of Life

I have a wonderful life.  I am so grateful to be able to say that, with sincerity.  Sometimes I feel I have to check myself in a way "is this really my life?"  One of the many gifts of living with joy and gratitude comes when the joy and gratitude are reflected back.  That's been happening a lot lately, and I attribute it to my intention to cultivate joy.

You see, I've been told that I can be really intense.  Direct.  To the point.  Focused.  And although it is most often brought up in the work setting, lately I've been hearing the message that I need to let loose more and it resonated with me in an interesting way.  I remembered that I am a joyous person. I used to be ridiculously happy in junior high and high school.  I remember intentionally smiling and trying to make others smile.  And although I feel joy and gratitude inwardly, I took these messages to mean that I was not fully communicating that in my day to day life.

And so, I've been making an effort to smile more, whenever, wherever.  Of course my Christmas card always reflects the best of the year.   And that positive energy is coming back to me in the sweetest ways; I'm writing to simply acknowledge it so that I can be reminded when I need to--because let's face it, often times it's easier to focus on what's missing from this wonderful life.

One of my cousins said, "I loved reading your Christmas card, I hope my life is as exciting as yours when I'm a real adult!".  Heather's Grandmother wrote, "it sounds like you have a very exciting job, I'm happy for you!". 

Today, two former colleagues from two different jobs each told me "I was inspired by your note about yoga in your Christmas card and I'm going to explore how to include it in my life."

And I attended a funeral this afternoon where someone I've known for ages but only recently became connected to on Facebook said, "I was going to write you a note, but now that I'm seeing you I have to tell you in person, I just LOVE following you on Facebook.  You have such a joyous life!  Your life is so exciting, I have a great life but sometimes I wish I had your life!  I appreciate how much you are enjoying life."

Let the joy continue.  I am grateful.

No comments: