Sunday, December 4, 2011

Well, that's a new one...

Last month, I attended an information session about the mid-career doctoral program in Educational Leadership offered by the University of Pennsylvania.  It is an "executive" program, meaning it is designed for working professionals and therefore involves limited class time and an accelerated completion--successful students earn an Ed.D. in three years.

Although it was a cold and rainy evening and all I really wanted to do was go home after a long day at the office, I made my way downtown.  Of course, I ran into someone I know--one of the principals from the school library event we did with Target back in May is a first year student in this program.  At the end of the evening, as I was saying goodbye to one of the program coordinators, another prospective student made a point of talking with me.

"It was such a pleasure to meet you," this man enthused, holding on to my hand and staring into my eyes as this young woman looked on.  "Do people tell you that they just can't help but talk to you?  That they are drawn to you?" he continued.

I was totally uncomfortable and tried to steer this strange interlude into a less personal and brief direction.

"Well, people do ask me for directions wherever I go.  I'm always stopped."

He went on--"Actually, I think it might be that your pupils are dilated.  Have you seen the research that shows that people's pupils dilate when they see something they are interested in?  Maybe people just find you easy to talk to because you're subconsciously communicating interest through the pupils of your eyes."

"Uh, well, funny you should mention that; my sister is obsessed with the size of my pupils." was the only reply I could come up with before finally excusing myself and bolting out the door.

Of course I had to call Keely immediately and share this story with her--she is always commenting on the size of my pupils.  So, after I told her the whole story she said--"Why do you want to know more about ADD?"

No, no...it's Ed.D....


No comments: