Monday, July 1, 2013

Feeling Impressed with Myself

It was an intense week at the office ass we prepared for an interview with a potential client.  We were all feeling the pressure to get this right and make a great impression--and we did.  I was frustrated and stressed out at various points but ultimately figured out the new presentation tool, Prezi and created something I was proud of.  Now, we wait.

In the meantime, I kept up with yoga and also had a goal of getting to four CrossFit workouts--and I did it.  I discovered there's a difference between genuine craving and an idea--on Friday, I thought I'd have some BBQ chicken pizza and a piece of apple pie.  This is, granted, not a great food choice but something I'd have from time to time.  I felt physically terrible afterwards and shared with Kathryn on Saturday--this is a sign of progress.  On Saturday, not having learned my lesson completely, I indulged in more less healthy choices and again felt blah.  So I'm going to try to remember these lessons moving forward--but it's crazy to think that in a relatively short period of time, three weeks, I've managed to shift my awareness of how my body feels.

Last night, I set out to cook up this week's farm share.  The harvest:  chard, zucchini and yellow squash, spring onions, garlic scapes, and beets.  Early in the week when I received the list, I thought I'd follow up on a conversation with a friend about beet chips.  But then I saw the beets:
How could I possibly make chips from these little beets??

With some additional groceries in stock, I set out to make:
Chard with golden raisins and pine nuts
Tomato, pepper and squash gratin
Zucchini muffins

The chard and gratin were pretty easy.  For the zucchini muffins, I would need to use my micro food processor's slicer/shredder attachment for the first time ever.  I also found a recipe for beet chips that said any size beets could be used.  I was so excited by how easy it was to shred the zucchini!  I added some walnuts to the batter and then, feeling ambitious, decided I'd try to do something with these wacky garlic scapes.  The first pesto recipe I searched on Epicurious seemed incredibly easy.

But first, the beet chips. I washed and peeled the little beets, then used the slicer attachment as a mandolin with great success.  Then I tossed the ingredients in the bowl and presto--pesto!!  So delicious--very garlicky.  The beet chips look more like bacon bits, but they are delicious!

Here is a photo of all the creations:

Finished beet chips:


No comments: