Sunday, May 15, 2011

Match Dud #7

I decided to take Metro in to DC Friday night to meet the guy that would become Match Dud #7. As I entered the Pentagon City station, I noticed a few busloads of tourists--your typical middle school group from middle America--trying to maneuver their way through the Metrorail. Why they decided to take Metro rather than their buses, I just do not know.

Another conspicuous group waiting on the platform--various small groups of police officers from all over the country. Some in full dress uniform, others in matching t-shirts, each one displaying a badge. Thankfully, despite the crowds, I made it on to the next train to arrive without any trouble and would probably be on time for my date. Looking around the car, I decided that with so many police officers on board, this had to be one of the safest mass transit rides I'd ever have.

At one point, the three MA State Police officers standing near me made a comment about feeling "unsafe" because the train was listing to one side. I shared my belief that with so many law enforcement officers on board, this had to be the safest train ever. Anyway, that got us all to talking--very friendly State Police officers that let me know they were on their way to the vigil to add names to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. We continued chatting and when we arrived at Gallery Place, they asked me for directions to the train to Judiciary Square and instead I guided them out of the Gallery Place station and gave them directions over to the memorial. Along the way, one of the guys said, "Don't marry a cop. Cops are good for one night stands, but not to date or marry." They were very grateful to have "our own personal tour guide" and even offered to take me through the gate with them so I wouldn't have to pay the fare.

Anyway, we parted ways, and I kind of wished I had stayed with them. Then, I made my way around some kind of crazy display/protest thing and met Match Dud #7. He had an interesting job, but I knew this wouldn't be going anywhere. My friends Daniel and Adam had offered to be my out, with Daniel saying, "just let me know and I'll have a crisis. I'm always good for a crisis." So I texted Daniel and asked him to give me 15 minutes and then come up with a crisis.

Seated at RFD, Dud #7 ordered a Sam Adams. Now, I'm not a beer drinker, but RFD has one of the city's largest selections of beer--36 beers on tap and this guy chooses Sam Adams? I think he was nervous. Anyway, about 20 minutes later, my phone was buzzing in my purse and I decided to see what Daniel had come up with. I apologized to Dud #7, whose expression let me know that he was anticipating me bailing on him.

"Patricia, help! I broke my wrist doing wheel pose in Yoga. Please come get me and take me to the ER at Washington Hospital Center!" read Daniel's text. Well, this was so silly that it made me laugh out loud and out went any hope I might have had of using this text as a cop out to leave the date.

Anyway, we had a decent conversation, split the bill and went our separate ways. I decided to walk to the next Metro station since it was a nice night out and along the way came upon a Fife & Drum Corps that seemed a little lost. I offered to give them directions.
"I only need to know where to buy cigarettes," one guy told me.
"I wouldn't know where to buy cigarettes, sorry, I like my lungs the way they are," I replied.
Then the group inquired about the bar inside of the expensive restaurant they were standing outside of; I told them it would be expensive and they could probably do better. They were looking for beer, so I sent them up the street to RFD. The smoker invited me--twice--to join them for a beer, but I politely declined. As I told Marilyn today, I was tired and they weren't cute.

I found myself at Teaism and wound down the evening.

UPDATE! Dud #7 texted me mid-day Monday to say: "I had a nice time with u on friday and would like to get together again soon, if ur game."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You left out the best part of your eveing! Discovering the new Chocolate Pecan Oat cookie.

Anonymous said...

Oops! spelled evening incorrectly!