Today was the kind of day that is so full, it's hard to believe it was only one day and harder still to adequately capture all there is to be grateful for. We woke to a snow covered landscape; Kristin was excited to go sledding and for Maia to play in the snow; Scott was equally excited for both prospects and the idea of a "snow day." Kris gleefully offered to take care of my shoveling, but I let her get ready and have some breakfast while I headed out. When I began to heave the wet, partially frozen chunks of snow from in front of my car, my neighbor Kevin immediately came over to help. I was touched by these simple acts of genuine kindness, but also had some things weighing heavily on my mind.
As I headed out to Yoga, I said to Scott, "I have some stuff to leave on the mat," and made a joke about God having enough laughs at our expense in terms of trying to make plans. "I prefer to think that He's created the opportunity," Scott replied.
Today's practice continued the month-long studio theme of letting go; the instructor repeated this phrase throughout the practice: "The process is the prize." A little bit like life is a journey, not a destination (a la Aerosmith and I'm sure someone much wiser than Steven Tyler), but an important reminder for me today. It was a strong practice, and I particularly enjoyed the view out the window of the studio; a snow covered tree, a church in the distance, blue skies with puffy white clouds.
Following Yoga, we made our way out to Annapolis to meet up with some friends that had just arrived from Florida for afternoon tea at our favorite historic spot, Reynolds Tavern. Like much of Annapolis, the Tavern is a beautifully kept historic building and they also have one of the most authentic and delicious afternoon teas you'll find in the DC metropolitan area. We headed back to Arlington to meet Kathryn for dinner and then I made my way to BWI to pick up the Texans...and this time tomorrow, all of the travelers should be here...
Kathmandu without monsoons is great!
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment