Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sporty Tricia Strikes Again

Here's a bonus non-Yoga post.

Saturday, I was flying up to Long Island to visit with my family; in particular there was Elizabeth's 17th (!) birthday to celebrate. The flight up, while delayed, was not sold out so there was a middle seat open between me and the guy in the window seat. I noticed he was talking on a Bluetooth device before takeoff while eating from a greasy brown paper bag from Arby's. Anyway, during our "initial descent" into Islip, he asked if I was staying in New York on continuing on to Orlando (an aside, not entirely certain why this flight was going BWI-ISP-MCO...that violates my belief that air travel should occur in a relative straight line in the direction you are headed). After telling him I would be staying in New York, I asked where he was headed.

"Well, I am actually a semi-pro football player, so I am headed to Florida for a game," he replied.
"Really?" I said, "so, this is a really nosy question, but you're a professional athlete and you just ate a whole bunch of fast food? What's that about?"

Yes, with one question I managed to disprove my general assertion that "I am not the food police."

Anyway, he actually took it very well and explained that most people ask him the same thing if they ever see him eating fast food and that basically he'd partied too much the night before and needed something in his stomach.

When I got to my parents' house the football game was on and I stunned my brother-in-law Keith by actually asking with genuine interest about the Steelers...although I think he was only impressed until I revealed that I had no idea who they were playing. When he said it was the Ravens, I noted that a lot of people at BWI had been wearing jerseys and it all made sense.

No comments: