Hooray!! I did it! Just returned from class #21. It was a quiet end to a great journey.
This afternoon I came home following an event on the Mall and took a nap. Then I was getting some work done in the home office when I realized that I was not yet hungry and also stuck on hold with the IRS. So, I looked up the schedule and learned that there was an 8:45pm Yin On-the-Go. Yin yoga is pretty much the opposite of what I usually practice (which apparently, and appropriately, is "yang" yoga) and so I thought I'd give it a try given that I was still a little creaky between last night's class and spending most of the day on my feet.
Well, yin yoga is not really for me. The good news is that somehow the hour flew by, and overall I'm pleased with the experience. I'm glad I tried it--but it's not really what I'm looking for on a regular basis. Basically, we only did about six poses--and we held each for three minutes on each side. So it's all about meditation, which is fine, but apparently I'm not so great at meditating and clearing my mind while sitting still for an extended period of time. Go figure. I did think through quite a lot of stuff--mostly tasks that need doing, organizing my finances, making to do lists...all of which is sort of opposite of the point of meditation but the time to clear my head has come in handy a few times during these 21 days.
Anyway, to sum up...I have not yet made it to a full bind in extended side angle or bird of paradise and that's OK. I'm definitely more 'open' and bendy than I was on June 1. And although it was difficult and exhausting at times, I'm really glad I took the challenge. It's inspired me to up my practice to 4-5 times per week from the 3-4 I've been doing since January, and to start thinking about adding some 'at home practice' to my routine.
Thanks for reading, for all the support and encouragement, and for graciously watching me do yoga poses in all kinds of random places.
Kathmandu without monsoons is great!
8 years ago
1 comment:
Congratulations on completing your yoga journey! I do have to ask...did you do yoga poses for people other than those of us in Katie's den? Lol! xoxo
Post a Comment